HISTORY OF THE TENT
The Sibley Tent, first used by Henry Sibley in 1857, was for all accounts to big and cumbersome. For men in permanent bivouac, the Sibley comfortably housed about 12 men. It had a hole in the top from which the store pipe for the Sibley stove ran through. For most armies, the Sibley didn't do the job as the fighting men of the Civil War were on the move constantly and wagon transport space was at a premium.
The "A" or wedge tent saw greater use and housed about 4-6 men. But, like the Sibley, it required too much wagon transport and also like the Sibley, it better served permanent troops. The need for temporary housing in the field saw the extensive use of the "Pup" tent. This was a small tent with no flooring, no flaps at either end and was just big enough for two men.
Karen Elizabeth (Thornton) Hanson
and son, Ed Hanson, Jr.